Monday, September 7, 2009

Day 5

The hair is starting to come out. This morning their was a few hairs left behind on Bridger’s pillow, and when we run our fingers through it a few strands come out. I told him your hair is starting to fall out. Then to make it a good thing I said “you know what that means? You won’t have to wash your hair anymore and no hair cuts for a long time” both things he hates. He was very excited about these options but then kind of got a sad look and said “but I like my hair”. I said “it will grow back fast and it will look even better. Besides you will have your beautiful blue eyes that shine”. One time he was falling asleep and I didn’t want him to, so I said “Don’t you close those beautiful eyes!” Now every time he is going to sleep he says “Mom say don’t you close your beautiful eyes to me”. It is a silly little thing we do but always leaves us smiling before bed.

Bridge received platelets today and was a little more laid back. The Dr’s say that he will most likely get Mucositis, witch is soreness or ulcerations in the mouth and throat. This leads to not eating, less energy, and the need for nutrition supplementing. Luckily we don’t have them yet but they say it usually happens soon after the hair loss. We are just waiting for the engraftment which can take weeks. We will hopefully avoid any infections and viruses in this time. By next week we could see sings of Graft Versus Host Disease (GVHD) they say a little can be a good thing so we know that the cells are starting to graft. But severe cases require aggressive treatment. We are hoping for the best and have no reason not to.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jana!!!! We just got back from camping late last night and I didn't have any service of any kind! I am happy to read that things are going well! I thought about you and Bridger the whole time I was there and prayed extra hard that all would be ok! I am so so happy to hear they are! I hope to talk to you soon:)

    Jace says: "I hope you feel better! I hope you get better quick. I love you and I hope I get to play with you soon when you get better and you're not sick. From Jace to Bridger I love you!"

    ReplyDelete