Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Day 7- 09-09-09

It was a very sad day. It started early this morning around 2:00 am when Bridger was crying because his hair had fallen out all over his pillow and had gotten all over face. His nose was so itchy he was miserable of and on all night. So around 9:00 am I got the volunteer that cuts hair to come to our room to give Bridger a buzz cut. We have been talking about it and preparing for it but I did not expect such a reaction. When he was done he touched his head and said I want to see it. I gave him a hand held mirror to look in. He said quietly “I didn’t want my hair cut” then he threw the mirror. At this point I was thinking not seven more years of bad luck!!!!! I used my Jedi reflexes and grabbed the mirror. Then I grabbed my boy and hugged. Huge alligator tears ran down his face and he said loudly “I don’t want any one to ever see me again not even Dad”. I took all I had to not let my self break down and cry with him. I rocked him hugged him talked to him and prayed with him. He hung on to me tight like I could make it better. He fell asleep during our prayer and then I couldn’t keep the tears back any longer. I felt so bad; I thought maybe I should have waited, or .. or …or... A ton of maybes ran threw my mind. But then I got a hold of myself and realized this was inevitable and it doesn’t mater when it happened it already has and now we have to adjust and move on. After crying to Blake (who also felt terrible after hearing the reaction) and making one of my sisters listen to me blubber about it, I felt a little better. The best way to describe how his hair looks is comparing it to some ones skin that has lost its pigmentation, except its hair vs. no hair splotches, and one front side is almost completely bald. After his nap he was in much better spirits about it and we played the wii. He got sad one more time over it but when my mom called he said “hello Grandma Dar, I got a blond cut today. I mean a buzz cut”. So by the end of the day he was accepting it. He is still pulling out the little hairs and if he scratches his head it leaves a baled line. I forgot to mention how sweet this little boy of mine is, yesterday he called to ask the nurse for a Popsicle and said “two Popsicles please I want to share one with my mom”. He is so thought full, and after thinking about his reaction to his hair I remembered two things:

1.When we told him he was going to go bald he said in an upset tone “well then I’m not going to go to church”.

2.When he was 3 I herd him hollering from the bathroom “Mom, Mom!” when I found him on his steep stool looking in the mirror I said what? He said “I can’t find my eyebrows” his hair was lighter then but I guess he as always been worried about his appearance.

Today did end on a good note. Bridger picked up one of his toys for the first time today and played. Then before bed I was holding him and singing Called to Serve while dancing my fingers around. This made Bridger Belly laugh. He tried to hold down my fingers but one would always escape. It was fun we both laughed. It is those small moments that warm my hart and I cherish most deeply.

The Dr’s cancelled his last two doses of MTX which is a chemo that suppresses the immune system. It caused his liver enzymes to go to high, and they don’t want to give it any more for fear it might damage the liver permanently. So he will be going on steroids for 8 days. They will have the same affect and with the bonus of not causing Mucositis, which hasn’t really bothered him today, he ate great! They also say the earliest he could be engrafted and ready to move out of the hospital would be the 26th, which is sooner than I originally thought. This is all good new.

I also just thought it would be fun to list some things that happened on this day of 09-09-09

1.Bridger got his first Buzz cut
2.It rained all day in Houston
3.We paid off our 2nd car!
4.It’s day 7 after Bridger’s BMT
5.I was contacted by a dear friend from almost 7 years a go.
6.We ate Ham sandwiches for the fourth day in a row.
7.Bridger and I cried a lot and laughed a lot all in one day.

13 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about the rough day you had today. We have been thinking about you alot and you are constantly in our thoughts and prayers. I read your blog everyday and update our family. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you. Give Bridger a hug for us, even if he doesn't remember who we are. Love, Cheryl Tooley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously bawled at this post. You two are so sweet and I am so sorry he had a rough time this morning. You seriously amaze me! Please tell Bridger I said hello!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jana, you are such strong lady. I hope you and Bridger have a great day. This post was a mixture of ups and downs...yet you are so positive. You are in my thoughts and prayers, as every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to handle a tough situation in a kind way! Losing hair is tough no matter the age. Isn't bald in right now? It is in Idaho ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have the most amazing amount of bald men in our ward and all of them are the coolest guys! I think bald men are very handsome!! JaDee needs a haircut...I think we will buzz it for Bridger!! Stay tuned for a picture this weekend!
    Love you buddy! Way to be strong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tell Bridger that Couson Jeff got a buss cut 2 Weeks ago and still had to go to church. I told cindi to cut the gray out and she took a 2 gard and buzzed me... After two days i was use to it and accualy thinking of doing it again... no matiance... (the gray is still there)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the bitter-sweet post. Who knew that a 5 year old boy would be so concerned about hair...i'll bet he looks really handsome in hats, though. I tried calling your hospital room the other day but it told me I had the wrong number. I'll call your cell again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Janalee you are an amazing mom! You are such an example of looking for the good in every situation. I am so appreciative of your example. I remember you telling me his eyebrow story. Bridger is sucha funny kid! I hope you saved a bunch of hair for his posterity! He'll have some great stories to share with his grandkids! Thanks for the blog. The kids love getting an update every night at dinner. We love you guys and hope you know you are never far from our thoughts, and are always in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh boy! What a doozy of a day. I guess being so handsome has it's downside, too, huh Bridger? Cameron and Miles are both getting buzzcuts this weekend! I think being bald is pretty cool these days. I mean, Optimus Prime doesn't have/need hair, either, right?! Just tell him he's way more aerodynamic this way:)
    You, as usual, are amazing Janalee.
    We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jana....
    You are the strongest girl I know!!!! Stay brave for that little guy. He is such a sweetheart, and I hope I can't wait to meet him someday.
    When Greg had cancer, the hardest thing about it was when he lost his hair. I cried more that day than on the day we found out about the cancer. But, it's hair....and it grows back. Stay strong, and remember Hevenly Father loves you, and you are one of his special daughters.
    with love...
    Kristy
    {HUGS}

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry you guys had such a rough day but I'm glad you got some laughs in too. :) Janalee, your strength amazes me. I got tears in my eyes just reading your post so I don't know how you stay so strong! Sending hugs and prayers your way. --Stephanie Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Scotty and Zac love buzz cuts! They said to tell Bridger they could be the three Buzzkateers if I'd let them buzz it off before family photos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I forgot to say way to go on the Jedi movement. I would have been thinking the same thing!

    ReplyDelete